Temple University Japan:
Qualitative and Narrative Approaches to Researching Language Teaching and Learning
Date: Saturday, February 10th, 2018 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Dr. Gary Barkhuizen (The University of Auckland, New Zealand)
What does qualitative research in the field of language teaching and learning actually mean? And what does narrative research mean? How are they related? These are not easy questions to answer, mainly because of the plethora of both definitions and methodological practices evident in the field. This seminar will unpack some of the complications in definition and the actual practice of qualitative and narrative research by going back to basics. Samples of data from actual studies will be used to illustrate a range of methods appropriate to language teacher researchers and researchers in applied linguistics. Traditional qualitative methods of analysis will be covered as well more recent narrative analytical methods, such as narrative frames and short story analysis. Issues of ethics and the reporting of findings in qualitative/narrative research, in which the personal experiences of people are central, will be explored.
Organization: Temple University Japan
Venue: TUJ Osaka Campus Osaka Ekimae Bldg. 3, 21st Floor, 1-1-3-2100 Umeda, Kita-ku, Osaka 530-0001 map
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Temple University Japan
Email QR Code:
Phone (work): 03-5441-9800