1) Positive Psychology in ELT; 2) Stress, Emotion Words, and Anxiety Reduction
Date: Sunday, April 22nd, 2018 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Marc Helgesen (Miyagi Gakuin Women's University); Harumi Kimura (Miyagi Gakuin Women's University)
Talk 1: Happy students learn more, stay on task longer and have more grit. How do we share key positive psychology concepts? This session introduces a way with both language goals and psychology elements. Then we'll consider "10 Minutes for Happiness" - short language/positive psychology activities to add to your course/curriculum. And we'll explore "Your brain on happiness" and random acts of kindness in our language classes. (Handout provided).
Talk 2: Would you be surprised if you were told that your emotions are not reactions to outside stimuli, but your own creation? Well, I was. But recent developments in neuroscience tell us that our brain constructs our experience of the world, including our emotions. In this session, I'll try to convince you that you can change or adjust the emotional life of your students in L2 classrooms (and in their lives).
Organization: Sendai Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Sendai JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (500 yen for students)
Venue: Aobaku Chuo Shimin Center Room 5
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Sendai JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: