Kyoto JALT: Member Spotlight
Date: Saturday, July 25th, 2020 Time: 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Speaker: Thomas Amundrud
This is a monthly event that features a Kyoto JALT member and afterward, everyone is welcome to just hang out and have a few drinks. This might be a fun way to get your presentation out AND keep up with your colleagues and friends. We are welcoming proposals at any time and will negotiate with the prospective speaker about a suitable month. Submit your proposals here
July 25th Member Spotlight: Thomas Amundrud
How and why to help your students email you in English
One problem exposed by the sudden move to Emergency Remote Teaching in response to the COVID crisis is the lack of effective training for EFL students in how to write professional emails to their professors in L2 English. In this presentation, I will discuss a pedagogic intervention I developed for teaching a basic English professional email format, and share some of the results of this intervention in my classes. I will also show how this intervention demonstrates the effectiveness of thinking about emails and other texts as genres, or how we do things in society when we use language to do them.
Organization: Kyoto Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kyoto JALT)
Venue: Online (Zoom link)
Location: Online, Online Events, Online Event
Add this to iCal
Add to Outlook
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kyoto JALT
Email QR Code: