Controversial Issues in EFL: Part of the Solution or Part of the Problem?
Date: Saturday, May 27th, 2006 Time: 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Speaker: Trevor Sargent
Discussing and understanding differing views of controversial issues are fundamental to participation in democratic society and practicing these in the classroom can provide a useful language-learning platform. The presenter will offer practical suggestions of classroom activities. There is a growing tendency among some educators, however, to claim the right to deal with controversial issues in the classroom by advocating only one side of an issue on the premise that they are teaching for a better world.
The presenter will offer examples and discuss it with reference to the notion of academic freedom and published ethical and pedagogical guidelines on the treatment of controversial issues in educational settings. He will also point out what he sees as problematic about this approach for JALT, the TESOL profession, and for the treatment of controversial issues in general.
Organization: Kobe Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kobe JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Kobe YMCA (2-7-15 Kano-cho, Chuo-ku, Kobe. tel: 078-241-7204)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kobe JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: