Date: Monday, May 15th, 2006 Time: 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Speaker: Clyde Fowle
A workshop looking at how short texts, both reading and listening, can be used as a springboard for speaking activities. Setting up speaking activities that work is always a challenge. Teachers seem to face three main obstacles: do the students have anything to say on the subject, do they have the language required, and do they have the confidence? Texts can act as a stimulus to help students unleash their background knowledge on a subject. They can also provide useful language input.
This workshop will look at the benefits of using texts as a springboard for speaking activities and participants will then be given an opportunity to work with a selection of texts to create follow-on speaking activities.
Clyde Fowle is Regional Consultant/Trainer for Macmillan Education, East Asia. He is also the author of Synergy.
This presentation is jointly supported by JALT Hokkaido and Macmillan Language House.
Organization: Hokkaido Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Hokkaido JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Hokkai Gakuen University, Toyohira (2 minutes from Gakuen Mae subway station, Toho Line)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Hokkaido JALT
Email QR Code: