Teaching Speech Acts Can Enrich Our Students' Learning
Date: Sunday, January 21st, 2007 Time: 1:30 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Jeremie Bouchard
The presentation will discuss a pedagogical initiative involving a textbook designed around the teaching of speech acts, which was introduced at Sapporo Sacred Heart School (S.S.H.S.), a Catholic school for girls. Hopefully, discussing this initiative will lead to a more general exchange on both the teaching of speech acts as a means of enriching our studentsf performance in the target language, and on material design. Speech acts are understood as attempts by language users to perform specific actions, in particular interpersonal functions such as compliments, apologies, requests or complaints.
Organization: Hokkaido Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Hokkaido JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Hokkai Gakuen University, Toyohira (2 minutes from Gakuen Mae subway station, Toho Line)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Hokkaido JALT
Email QR Code: