East Shikoku JALT:
Anatomy of a Native Check
Date: Saturday, February 20th, 2010 Time: 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM
Speaker: Ian Willey and Kimie Tanimoto
Many academic journals in Japan require "native checks" for English abstracts accompanying submissions in Japanese. However, the efficacy of such native checks has not been confirmed empirically. It has even been suggested that native checks done by English teachers on texts produced by scientists may be superficial at best, and harmful at worst, particularly in terms of lexical cohesion. The presenters, an English teacher and a Nursing instructor, will describe an ongoing study that centers on the nature and efficacy of native checks. Ten native English speakers were asked to edit an abstract produced by a Japanese nursing researcher, and the changes made were identified and categorized from a socio-cognitive perspective. Follow-up interviews were then conducted. Results reveal a variety of approaches and attitudes towards editing, suggesting that a simple native check is in fact a complicated phenomenon yielding diverse results.
Organization: East Shikoku Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (East Shikoku JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Kagawa University (Takamatsu) Faculty of Education, Room 411
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact East Shikoku JALT
Email QR Code: