Social Justice and Critical Consciousness in the University EFL classroom
Date: Sunday, May 15th, 2011 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Alexis Pusina
What place, if any, does social justice and critical consciousness have in EFL learning? How can EFL teachers instill a sense of critical social consciousness into university EFL students? This interactive workshop will explore the idea of moving beyond language learning to developing students' critical thinking skills; analyzing and developing ideas for problems/issues in regards to inequity and injustice both inside and outside Japan. Useful ideas and activities will be offered; for example, getting students to write and talk about their own valuable life experiences in order to build a foundation for developing their critical thinking skills.
Organization: Okayama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Okayama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Sankaku Okayama map
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Okayama JALT
Email QR Code: