Listening Activities for the 21st Century
Date: Saturday, November 12th, 2011 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Nicholas Bovee and Jeffrey Stewart
In this talk, the presenters will introduce a number of useful toolsand techniques for teaching listening. Although most of the topicswill involve the use of Internet-based tools, the talk will be non-technical and accessible to all. The topics covered will include:1. Shadowing activities on the Moodle LMS, 2. Transcription activitiesusing in-class group conversations, 3. Adapting classroom content toan online CALL format with a focus on listening, and 4. Preparing instructional materials for the TOEIC Listening test.
Attendees will receive a list of online resources that will helpthem get started in using the software and tools. Attendees will also receive free technical assistance by email for the presented tools -- lifetime guarantee.
Nicholas Bovee holds an M.S.Ed from Temple University Japan. Hisinterests includeserious gamesand the use of CALL with amotivatedlearners.
Jeffrey Stewart holds an M.S.Ed from Temple University Japan, and iscurrently pursuing a Phd in Applied Linguistics from SwanseaUniversity. His interests include vocabulary acquisition and educational measurement.
Organization: Oita Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Oita JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Oita International House, Beppu
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Oita JALT
Email QR Code: