A Critical Thinking Approach to the Teaching of Debate and Public Speaking
Date: Sunday, February 17th, 2002 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Hiroshi Matsusaka, Waseda University
The purpose of this talk is to suggest ways in which critical thinking may be incorporated into EFL. Specifically, Prof. Matsusaka will report on (a) the debate class which he has recently designed at Waseda University and (b) the training of speech contest participants in which he has been involved as a speech coach to an extracurricular English-language club on campus. Both kinds of work require efforts on the part of the instructor or coach to help students to achieve logical clarity in their communicative activities, and he will describe what might be called a critical thinking approach which he takes when working with his students. On the basis of his experience he will suggest that training EFL learners in logical thinking may be a helpful way to improve a certain aspect of their proficiency.
Organization: Gunma Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Gunma JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen, students 200 yen, newcomers free
Venue: Maebashi Kyoai Gakuen College 1154-4 Koyahara-machi, Maebashi Tel: 027-266-7575
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Gunma JALT
Email QR Code: