Basics of Vocabulary Study in the Test Practice Class
Date: Sunday, December 9th, 2012 Time: 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM
Speaker: Charles Jannuzi
Teaching and studying vocabulary are a major part of EFL learning. In EFL situations students do not have very many chances to use English outside of class. This might cause teachers to ask: Are we truly helping students to acquire a broad, deep and nuanced lexicon? For example, at the university level, many textbooks in Japan have been designed to prepare students for language tests (e.g., TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, and unique to Japan, the EIKEN/STEP, etc. ). These often include vocabulary components, such as word study sections at the beginning of a chapter. Usually these are presented as pre-reading or pre-listening tasks. Often the task is a list of key words taken from the reading or listening exercises of a given unit. In this presentation, we will look at ways to expand our use of such limited vocabulary practice sections in order to help give the students more practice and exposure.
Organization: Fukui Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Fukui JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (500 yen for students)
Venue: Open University of Japan Fukui Campus, AOSSA 7th Floor
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Fukui JALT
Email QR Code: