ASC Brain Science and Materials Design; followed by End-of-Year Party!
Date: Sunday, December 9th, 2012 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Curtis Kelly
Part 1: Brain Plasticity and Learning: The Role of Emotion, Cognition and Movement
We learn because the brain is plastic. It is not hard-wired as was long believed, and we are now learning how the reward system affects plasticity and learning, including the super-learning we call addiction. Dopamine is essential for permanent learning, and the fact that the reward system connects the cognitive, emotional, memory, and movement parts of our brains give us clues as to what we need to do in the language classroom.
Part 2: Using Brain Science in Lesson PlanningHow can we use neuroscience to improve language teaching? How can we design materials that are brain-compatible? The presenter will show how he used concepts from brain science to make activities in Active Skills For Communication brain friendly, and ask participants to design their own.
After our meeting, we'll be having our annual bonenkai at a nearby buffet restaurant.
Organization: Shizuoka Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Shizuoka JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Kyoiku Kaikan (B1)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Shizuoka JALT
Email QR Code: