JACET ESP SIG Kanto:
A Systematic Approach to Teaching Critical Thinking through Debate in an ESP Context
Date: Saturday, December 8th, 2012 Time: 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Dave Rear (Shibaura Institute of Technology)
The development of critical thinking skills has become a key goal for educators in both first and second language contexts. This presentation will demonstrate how critical thinking can be taught in a systematic and explicit manner through the medium of debate. It builds on a combination of two approaches:
- taxonomies of critical thinking skills as developed by Facione (1990), Ennis (1987) and others;
- step-by-step problem-solving techniques recommended in business contexts.
The course takes students through a six-stage process, showing them how to define the nature of a problem, gather and organize appropriate data, evaluate the worth of that data, analyze the data to draw conclusions, express those conclusions clearly, and finally appraise performance for future improvement. This presentation will show how this approach can be used effectively in an ESP context with learners of relatively low English abilities.
Organization: JACET English for Specific Purposes SIG (Japan Association of College English Teachers) Kanto (JACET ESP SIG Kanto)
Cost: 500 yen
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact JACET ESP SIG Kanto
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: