Humor: Theory and Implications for Teaching
Date: Saturday, April 20th, 2013 Time: 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Ted Quock (Keisen University)
This workshop takes up the concept of intention vs. perception in humor. It will begin with the role of humor in the classroom, including the teaching of humor as an academic subject and both the intentional and incidental of humor in teaching. The focus will then move on to a definition of basic terms, beginning with humor itself. Among the topics and issues that will arise are reactions to humor, humor density, target audience, and target of humor. Most importantly, the workshop will explore the relationship between intention and perception. The presenter will introduce various humorous materials and situations, and the presentation will include an analysis of selected editorial cartoons and original artwork relating to the events and aftermath of March 11, 2011, in the Tohoku region. The audience will constantly be involved in discussion of terminology and issues, and offering reactions to the materials introduced.
Organization: Yokohama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Yokohama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen (500 yen for students)
Venue: Kanagawa Kokaido Hall map
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Yokohama JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: