JACET ESP SIG Kanto:
A Review of the Theoretical Origins of English for Specific Purposes
Date: Saturday, June 28th, 2014 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Tomonori Ono
ESP first emerged in the 1960s as a result of linguistic interest in scientific prose and technical English. The demand for ESP grew during the 1970s as a result of the works of influential scholars such as Swales (1971) and Bates and Dudley-Evans (1976) who focused on the use of the English language in scientific writing. However, it was not until the 1980s before linguists attempted to define and treat ESP as a separate field. This presentation will trace the theoretical origins of ESP through an examination of the literature with respect to common definitions, characteristics, and classification systems.
Tomonori Ono earned an MA in TESL with Distinction at Hawaii Pacific University, and was awarded the National Dean's List: Honoring America's Most Outstanding College Students in 2006-2007. He is currently pursuing his doctoral studies in ESP at the Graduate School of Language Education at International Christian University, and teaches ESP courses at Keio University and Aoyama Gakuin University.
Organization: JACET English for Specific Purposes SIG (Japan Association of College English Teachers) Kanto (JACET ESP SIG Kanto)
Venue: Tokyo Keizai University, Building 6, Room F-305 (Tokyo Keizai University 1-7-34 Minamicho, Kokubunji, Tokyo (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact JACET ESP SIG Kanto
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: