Character Development for Meaningful Communication
Date: Saturday, September 26th, 2015 Time: 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Speaker: Aya Kawakami (Nanzan Junior College)
Role-plays, sample dialogues, and free conversation are staples of EFL classroom activities. What can we, as teachers, do to create more diversity and breathe more life into such tasks? One possible solution is to incorporate some basic drama techniques, many of which focus on character development. Through creating background stories for characters and their relationships, students can embody the characters better. This allows them to explore more varied power relationships, emotions, motivations, physicality, and create an investment in the characters, which can be a strong motivator. The workshop will incorporate practical examples that participants can utilize immediately into their classroom repertoire.
Organization: Gifu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Gifu JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (first time free)
Venue: JR Gifu Station Heartful Square 2F
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Gifu JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 058-246-3744
Phone (work): 052-781-4734