Creative teaching for 21st Century Learners
Date: Sunday, October 18th, 2015 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Barbara Hoskins Sakamoto, sponsored by OUP.
There's a lot of talk these days about including 21st century skills in language classes. What are these skills, and do they have any place in a language class where teachers have limited contact time, and the priority is, still, to teach English? In this workshop, teachers will learn teaching techniques to help their learners become strong English users and also critical and creative thinkers. By making every moment of class time count, teachers can help students succeed -- on exams and in future jobs.
Teachers can build both the traditional four skills (speaking, listening, reading, and writing) and the 21st century 4Cs (communication, collaboration, creativity and critical thinking) in every class. The secret is building a strong English foundation, so that teachers can spend most of your class time using language to develop the more advanced (and more fun!) integrated skills in student-generated projects. We’ll explore simple teaching techniques to do this and look at actual student projects. Teachers will have a chance to try out techniques and activities, so come prepared to participate.
Organization: Nagasaki Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Nagasaki JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (free for students)
Venue: Dejima Koryu Kaikan (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Nagasaki JALT
Email QR Code: