Self-Directed Learner Training for English Language Learning, followed by Bonenkai (Fukuoka JALT's annual end-of-year party)
Date: Saturday, December 10th, 2016 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Mathew Porter (Fukuoka Jo Gakuin Nursing University)
Please note the earlier starting time.
Language is a tool for communication, and identifying what you want to do with language can provide a path for improving language ability. However, students often describe their language learning goals using vague or generic language that makes it hard for them to achieve tangible results. In the first half of this two-part presentation, I will explain goal-setting in relation to self-directed language learning and introduce some activities for analyzing needs and setting goals. In the second half of the presentation, I will discuss two projects that illustrate considerations teachers must make to support students in their selection of materials for achieving goals. The presentation will conclude with some observations about the challenges of explicitly instructing students in self-directed learning.
Mathew Porter is currently Assistant Professor of English at Fukuoka Jo Gakuin Nursing University. He spent three years as a language learning advisor at a university self-access center and is the co-coordinator of the Learner Development SIG. He is interested in collaborative learning and reflection.
Join us for our end-of-year celebration at a fantastic Mexican restaurant off of Nishidori called Plaza del Sol. The charge is 3800 yen (all-we-can drink and a set meal) from 19:30 (7:30 PM) to 21:30 (9:30 PM). RSVP to reserve your place
Organization: Fukuoka Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Fukuoka JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: ACROS Fukuoka, 2F, Seminar room 2, 1-1-1 Tenjin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka City (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Fukuoka JALT
Email QR Code: