Education as a Business: School Owner Simulator
Date: Sunday, December 11th, 2016 Time: 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Ryan Hagglund (MY English School)
Most teachers at some time have thought about running their own language school, or wondered what it would be like. What would it entail? What might a successful model be? How might it differ from education in the non-profit world? This presentation will utilize a simulation style to highlight challenges and benefits unique to for-profit language schools. Participants will engage in decision-making scenarios and opportunities, observing how they affect both the educational and financial aspects of education as a business.
Biography: Ryan Hagglund is owner of MY English School in Yamagata and adjunct professor of English at Yamagata University. He also serves as coordinator for the JALT School Owners' SIG and regional group liaison for ETJ. He has an MA in TEFL/TESL from University of Birmingham in England, MAT from Willamette University in Oregon, and Oregon State teaching certification for JHS and HS. He lives in Yamagata with his wife and three boys.
Organization: Iwate-Aomori Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Iwate-Aomori JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (500 yen for students)
Venue: AIINA (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Iwate-Aomori JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 019-662-8816
Phone (work): 019-663-3132
Email QR Code: