Writing Effective Language Tests for Both Accuracy and Fluency
Date: Sunday, July 6th, 2003 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: James Dean Brown, University of Hawai'i at Manoa
This talk will center on ways to test for both fluency and accuracy. James Dean Brown will begin with discussion of the crucial differences between classroom tests and standardized tests in terms of purposes, types of decisions, levels of generality, students' expectations, score interpretations, and score report strategies. Specific guidelines will be provided for writing different types of items that promote both accuracy and fluency. First, a general set of guidelines will be presented and explained. Second, guidelines for the different types of receptive item formats (true-false, multiple-choice, and matching) will be provided. Third, guidelines for various sorts of productive item formats (fill-in, short-answer, and task-based) will also be given. And finally, a set of guidelines for personal response item formats (conferences, self-assessments, and portfolios) will be discussed.
Organization: Hiroshima Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Hiroshima JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Hiroshima City Plaza (about a 2 minute walk from Crystal Plaza towards Hondori) Seminar Room #C 6-36 Fukuromachi Nakaku Hiroshima Venue Tel: 082-545-3911
Location: Hiroshima City, Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan
Add this to iCal
Add to Outlook
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Hiroshima JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: