A Comprehensive Approach for Learning English with Computer Assistance
Date: Sunday, July 9th, 2006 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:45 PM
Speaker: Peter Wanner, Tohoku University
For English teachers, the concept of independent and dependent English skills is an area that university and class curricula tend to take into consideration. The independent approach tends to separate the skills and hence the four skill areas might be taught independently in different class units. The dependent approach is represented more in courses that teach all four skills within one class unit. This presentation will discuss the relationship between reading and writing, and speaking and listening. These two groups of skills often accompany each other as pairs. The presenter will show the relationship reading and writing can have in improving fluency in speaking and listening. Two groups of students will be discussed, a control group and an experimental group. The discussions of both the control and experimental group were the same discussion topics. The results indicate that the experimental group that performed reading and writing tasks related to discussion topics in group conversations was more fluent in speaking and listening skills than students in the control group who were not required to do reading and writing skills related to their discussions. The presenter will provide examples of how to incorporate computer grammar check programs, reading fluency programs, and speaking analysis programs into a comprehensive learning environment for developing more fluent conversation skills in Japanese college students.
Dr. Wanner has taught large and small classes at national and private universities for the past 12 years. He is currently an Associate Professor in the Graduate School of International Cultural Studies at Tohoku University.
Organization: Nagano Chapter (formerly the Shinshu Chapter) of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Nagano JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Nagano Kinrosha Fukushi Kaikan, Ongaku shitsu (Music Room), Kenchomae dori.
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Nagano JALT
Email QR Code: