Engaging with Challenging Texts and Content
Date: Saturday, February 20th, 2016 Time: 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Speaker: Alan Thompson (Gifu Shotoku Gakuen University)
Against a backdrop of extensive listening, reading, and fluency-building communication activities, there is a place for small doses of challenging material. Sometimes such material is required by a content-based curriculum, but even if not, wrestling with challenging texts can lead to deeper learning, boost confidence, and give learners a taste of their future progress. This will be a theory-light and practice-heavy workshop. Alan Thompson will demonstrate and we will practise three approaches that should help students to engage with challenging texts and content, and to develop an irreverent but thoughtful attitude towards learning.
- Tasks for sizing up and getting familiar with texts, and "giving it a go" with the content.
- Skills for "attacking" texts to get the meaning.
- Habits for using (and abusing) texts for extended practice.
The example tasks, etc. will be drawn from a university teaching environment, but these ideas can probably be adapted to younger and lifelong learners as well.
Organization: Gifu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Gifu JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (first time free)
Venue: JR Gifu Station, Heartful Square 2F
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Gifu JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 058-246-3744
Phone (work): 052-781-4734