Enhancing Language Learning Awareness: An Orientation Workshop for College Students
Date: Sunday, February 26th, 2006 Time: 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Steve Brown, National JALT President
Learners in colleges and universities are often left to their own devices when it comes to furthering their English studies outside the classroom. Having emerged from an exam-passing approach to get into the college or university, many of them are not quite sure how to set about improving their English, or even of what works (or doesn't work) for them.
In this presentation, Steve Brown describes and evaluates an orientation program which was developed for incoming students in the English Department of a women's junior college over a period of five years. The program was aimed at fostering students' awareness of their own learning styles, and also at alerting them to alternative approaches to learning English.
Steve will show some of the approaches used in the programme - active participation is encouraged! He also hopes to share ideas for ways in which this kind of programme might work in other contexts and institutions.
The presentation will be followed by an Open Microphone session, when everyone can have a chance to ask questions, suggest ideas and share their concerns, complaints and opinions. Enjoy a no-holds-barred session with JALT's current President, Steve Brown!
Organization: Iwate-Aomori Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Iwate-Aomori JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen; students and ALTs 500 yen
Venue: Iwate International Plaza, Morioka
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Iwate-Aomori JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 019-662-8816
Phone (work): 019-663-3132
Email QR Code: