Toward A Focus-on-Form Approach to EFL Teaching in Japan
Date: Sunday, July 23rd, 2017 Time: 1:30 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Shinichi Izumi (Sophia University)
Presentation / workshop language: English & Japanese
In this task-based interactive presentation, I wish to highlight some problems in grammar-based, teacher-centered, and context-poor instruction that is still prevalent in English education in Japan, and show directions for change that hopefully enable us to teach English in English for greater benefits to students. More specifically, I will discuss the importance of paying attention to form in relation to meaning and function, and helping students to see the connections among them if we wish for them to develop a balanced communicative proficiency in English. I hope that the audience will get some theoretical ideas as well as hints for practical applications for more effective language teaching through my talk.
Organization: Nagoya Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Nagoya JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Nagoya International Center, 3F, Lecture Room 1
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Nagoya JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (work): 052-781-4679
Email QR Code:
Mobile phone: 090-4265-0526