"Sometimes, I think they are a kind of God." Metaphors for teachers, learners and language learning
Date: Sunday, April 16th, 2017 Time: 1:30 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Darren Elliott (Nanzan University)
Description:In order to make sense of abstract thought, humans have developed a rich facility for metaphor. These metaphors are loaded with meanings to be unpacked and interpreted. Research into education has a strong tradition of metaphor analysis, utilising metaphors for education to categorise differing attitudes towards the learning process. Work such as this suggests the potential of metaphors as a shorthand for attitude systems. If this promise can be realised then researchers will have a powerful tool at hand.
In this presentation / workshop, the presenter will introduce metaphor in an accessible way, and describe a mixed-methods study which sought to examine the possible connection between learnersf metaphors for language learning and their perspectives and attitudes, with a particular focus on learner autonomy. Participants will have a chance to discuss the research methodology and connections to their own practice, as well as some innovative activities to try in the classroom.
Organization: Nagoya Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Nagoya JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Nagoya International Center, 3F, Lecture Room 2
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Nagoya JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (work): 052-781-4679
Email QR Code:
Mobile phone: 090-4265-0526