Developing "Global Citizens": Considering the role of language educators in developing 21st century skills
Date: Sunday, July 23rd, 2017 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Richmond Stroupe (JALT President)
As we move through the 21st century, developing "global citizens" is increasingly becoming a focus at secondary, tertiary, and even primary, levels of educational systems. In Japan, this has been manifest through a number of "global" initiatives at both the secondary and tertiary levels. Post graduate, prospective employers of our graduates are also no longer satisfied with solely higher levels of English language proficiency, but also require additional skills that shape a well-rounded "global citizen."
As part of the global community, our learners will be required to be autonomous and confident and be able to think critically. In addition, our learners need to be able to effectively manage large amounts of information, use technology efficiently, understand the cultural perspectives of others, and work collaboratively and in leadership positions. All of these skills need to be incorporated into educational programs that increasingly are providing content through English medium instruction, increasing the expectations placed on students and instructors alike.
This workshop will provide opportunities for teachers at the primary, secondary and tertiary levels to discuss the obstacles they face when trying to support learners as they develop these skills, and to discuss effective approaches to overcoming these obstacles. Participants in this workshop will also have the opportunity to discuss specific strategies and effective suggestions that teachers can use on a daily basis within any curriculum with students at any level to help them achieve the skills necessary for success within the global community.
Organization: Sendai Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Sendai JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen; 500 for students; first-timers free with coupon (http://tinyurl.com/zpafnws))
Venue: Sendai War Memorial Hall (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Sendai JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: